North East Cargo Link (NECL) II
Midnordic Green Transport Corridor
Developing east-west Midnordic Transport Corridor - part-financed by Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007-2013.
Our objectives have been:
• to develop and promote the east-west Midnordic Transport Corridor, by improving roads, railways and intermodal solutions in the corridor, and by developing an ICT system for optimization of goods transport in the corridor
• to show the possibilities, potential and benefits of the Midnordic Transport Corridor to business actors, decision makers and other related actors.
• removing goods from roads to railway and sea will contribute sustainability – the goal is a sustainable, environmentally friendly Midnordic Green corridor.
In Central Finland the work has included eg.:
- Studies, investigations and preliminary engineering for main road 18 between Multia and Ähtäri and accessing regional road 621.
- A Midnordic Transport Study.
Traffic Engineer Pekka Kokki, tel. +358 40 595 0006 and
Communication Manager Virpi Heikkinen, tel. +358 40 595 0178.
The partners involved represent eg. Transport Authorities, County Councils and County Administrative Boards in Sweden and Regional Councils in Finland, Fylken in Norway, Mid Sweden University, municipalities in all countries and non-profit cooperation organizations (eg. Midnordic Committee). The County
Administrative Board of Västernorrland is the Lead Partner in the project.
The project has also a strong political support from the national transport
agencies in Norway, Sweden and Finland as well as the Nordic Council of
Ministers and North East Cargo Link Alliance.